Observation of Reaction Transient against External Fields in Soft Crystals using X-ray Molecular Movie
Collaborator: Shin-ichi Adachi (Institute of Materials Structure Science (IMSS), High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK), Professor)
Collaborator: Shunsuke Nozawa (Institute of Materials Structure Science (IMSS), High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK), Associate Professor)
Collaborator: Kouhei Ichiyanagi (Institute of Materials Structure Science (IMSS), High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK), Researcher)
Collaborator: Ryo Fukaya (Institute of Materials Structure Science (IMSS), High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK), Assistant Professor)
Collaborator: Yasufumi Umena (School of Medicine, Jichi Medical University, Doctor Student）
Novel functional-materials, “Soft crystals,” produces a phase transition or luminescence-property change by weak external-fields, which are photo irradiation, vapor exposure, mechanical pushing, and others. We explore a time-resolved structural-change in an atomic level or electronic state during phase transition in soft crystals using ‘X-ray molecular movie’ to understand mechanisms of the functions. A pump-probe experiment is executed with LASER pumping to generate intermediate states of photo excitation, pressure impress, thermal jump, and so on. X-ray free electron laser (XFEL) and pulsed synchrotron-radiation are used for a probing in a range of time scale from femtosecond to minute. We advance an appropriate system for each soft crystal, i.e., multi-probing which are X-ray crystallography, X-ray absorption spectroscopy, X-ray scattering and photoelectron microscopy.
- Direct Observation of Bond Formation in Solution with Femtosecond X-Ray Scattering
Kim, K.H.; Kim, J.G.; Nozawa, S.; Sato, T.; Oang, K.Y.; Kim, T.W.; Ki, H.; Jo, J.; Park, S.; Song, C.; Sato, T.; Ogawa, K.; Togashi, T.; Tono, K.; Yabashi, M.; Ishikawa, T.; Kim, J.; Ryoo, R.; Kim, J.; Ihee, H.; Adachi, S. Nature 2015, 518, 385-389.
- Lifetimes of photogenerated electrons on a GaAs surface affected by nanostructural defects
Fukumoto, K.; Yamada, Y.; Koshihara, S.; Onda, K.; Appl. Phys. Express 2015, 8, 101201(4).
- Reversible Phase Transition in Laser-Shocked 3Y-TZP Ceramics Observed via Nanosecond Time-Resolved X-Ray Diffraction
Hu, J.; Ichiyanagi, K.; Takahashi, H.; Koguchi, H.; Akasaka, T.; Kawai, N.; Nozawa, S.; Sato, T.; Sasaki, Y.C.; Adachi, S.; Nakamura, K.G. J. Appl. Phys. 2012, 111, 053526-1-5.
- Coordination and Electronic Structure of Ruthenium(II) -tris-2,2’- bipyridine in the Triplet Metal-to-Ligand Charge-Transfer Excited State Observed by Picosecond Time-Resolved Ru K-Edge XAFS
Sato, T.; Nozawa, S.; Tomita, A.; Hoshino, M.; Koshihara, S.; Fujii, H.; Adachi, S. J. Phys. Chem. C 2012, 116, 14232-14236.
- Visualizing Breathing Motion of Internal Cavities in Concert with Ligand Migration in Myoglobin
Tomita, A.; Sato, T.; Ichiyanagi, K.; Nozawa, S.; Ichikawa, H.; Chollet, M.; Kawai, F.; Park, S.-Y.; Tsuduki, T.; Yamato, T.; Koshihara, S.; Adachi, S. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 2009, 106, 2612-2616.
- "Isomeric Difference in the Crystalline-state Chemiluminescence Property of an Adamantylideneadamantane 1,2-Dioxetane with a Phthahlimide Chromophore" C. Matsuhashi, T. Ueno, H. Uekusa, A. Sato-Tomita, K. Ichiyanagi, S. Maki and T. Hirano, Chemical Communications, 2020, 56(23), 3369-3372.DOI: 10.1039/C9CC10012A
- "Selective Reduction Mechanism of Graphene Oxide Driven by the Photon Mode versus the Thermal Mode" M. Hada, K. Miyata, S. Ohmura, Y. Arashida, K. Ichiyanagi, I. Katayama, T. Suzuki, W. Chen, S. Mizote, T. Sawa, T. Yokoya, T. Seki, J. Matsuo, T. Tokunaga󠇐, C. Itoh, K. Tsuruta, R. Fukaya, S. Nozawa, S. Adachi, J. Takeda, K. Onda, S. Koshihara, Y. Hayashi, Y. Nishina, ACS Nano, 2019, 13, 10103-10112.
- "Size and Shape Controlled Crystallization of Hemoglobin for Advanced Crystallography" A. Sato-tomita, N. Shibayama, Crystals, 2017, 7, 282.DOI: 10.3390/cryst7090282
Attend international conferences and overseas dispatch
- "Capturing metal active-site in myoglobin and hemoglobin by X-ray fluorescence holography"
A. Sato-Tomita, N. Shibayama, N. Happo, T. Matsushita, K. Hayashi, Y. C. Sasaki, Swedish-Japanese Workshop on Nano-Structure Science by Novel Light Sources (Lund, Sweden, Oct.2-3, 2017)
- "Simulations of X-ray fluorescence holograms of Photosystem II (PSII)" A. K. R. Ang, A. Sato-Tomita, N. Shibayama, Y. Umena, Y. Yamamoto, Y. C. Sasaki, N. Happo, K. Kimura, K. Hayashi, Swedish-Japanese Workshop on Nano-Structure Science by Novel Light Sources (Lund, Sweden, Oct.2-3, 2017)
- "Direct observation of a ligand-migration pathway in heme proteins" A. Sato-Tomita (Invited), Japan-China Young Women Scientists Symposium (Beijing, China, Nov. 3-4, 2017)
- "Application of X-ray fluorescence imaging to protein crystals" A. Sato-Tomita, N. Shibayama, N. Happo, T. Matsushita, K. Hayashi, Y. C. Sasaki, Atomic Level Characterization (ALC) 2017 (Hawaii, USA, Dec. 3-8, 2017)
- "Imaging of photogenerated electron dynamics on a semiconductor surface" K. Fukumoto, The 5th Advanced Electromagnetics Symposium (Seoul, Korea, Jul. 26-28, 2017)
- "Imaging of carrier dynamics by time-resolved PEEM" K. Fukumoto (Invited), 7th FOCUS PEEM Workshop, (Hyun step Ten, Germany, Jun. 21-23, 2017)
- Beamline NW14A at KEK PF-AR, Japan
- Division of Biophysics, Jichi Medical University
- Photon Factory
- SACLA (XFEL)