Fabrication of Soft Photonic Crystals for Novel Functions
Co-Investigator: Takayuki Nonoyama (Faculty of Advanced Life Science, Hokkaido University, Associate Professor)
Polymer hydrogels, containing large amount of water in the polymer network, possess many unique functionalities such as high permeability, stimuli-responsivity, biocompatibility, and low friction. Hydrogels are highly expected as functional materials for potential application. However, due to the amorphous structure of polymer network, the hydrogels have quite limited functions. In this research, our aim is to develop high functional hydrogels by introducing periodic structure and/or ordered structure, of several decades- to hundred-nanometer scale, to hydrogels based on the concept of soft crystals. Our strategy to develop such hydrogels is using shear force-aided molecular orientation method and bio-template method. We intend to develop soft & active tough photonic materials, which change structural color triggered by small stimuli (finger compression, temperature, pH, affinity with solvent). Moreover, we intend to apply the developed materials with photonic and anisotropic properties for next-generation optical sensors, novel color displays and zero-order long-term drug release systems based on anisotropic one dimensional diffusion.
- Decoupling Dual-Stimuli Responses in Patterned Lamellar Hydrogels as Photonic Sensors,
Y. Yue, X. Li, T. Kurokawa, M. A. Haque, J. P. Gong., J. Mater. Chem. B, 4, 4104–4109 (2016).
- Polymer Adsorbed Bilayer Membranes Form Self-Healing Hydrogels with Tunable Superstructure, X. F. Li, T. Kurokawa, R. Takahashi, M. A. Haque, Y. F. Yue, T. Nakajima, J. P. Gong. Macromolecules, 48, 2277–2282 (2015).
- Quasi-unidirectional shrinkage of gels with well-oriented lipid bilayers upon uniaxial stretching, T. Nakajima, C. Durand, X. F. Li, M. A. Haque, T. Kurokawa, J. P. Gong. Soft Matter, 11, 237–240 (2015).
- Mechano-actuated ultrafast full-colour switching in layered photonic hydrogels, Y. F. Yue, T. Kurokawa, M. A. Haque, T. Nakajima, T. Nonoyama, X. F. Li, I. Kajiwara, J. P. Gong. Nature Commun., 5, 1–8 (2014).
- Lamellar Hydrogels with High Toughness and Ternary Tunable Photonic Stop-Band, Y. F. Yue, M. A. Haque, T. Kurokawa, T. Nakajima, J. P. Gong, Adv. Mater., 25, 3106–3110 (2013).
- "Preparation of Tough Double- and Triple-Network Supermacroporous Hydrogels through Repeated Cryogelation" S. Sedlačík, T. Nonoyama, H. Guo, R. Kiyama, T. Nakajima, Y. Takeda, T. Kurokawa and J. P. Gong, Chemistry of Materials, 2020, 32(19), 8576-8586
- "Hydrogels as Dynamic Memory with Forgetting Ability" C. Yu, H. Guo, K. Cui, X. Li, Y. N. Ye, T. Kurokawa and J. P. Gong, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2020, 117(32), 18962-18968
- "Fiber-reinforced Viscoelastomers Show Extraordinary Crack Resistance that Exceeds Metals" W. Cui, D. R. King, Y. Huang, L. Chen, T. L. Sun, Y. Guo, Y. Saruwatari, C.-Y. Hui, T. Kurokawa and J. P. Gong, Advanced Materials, 2020, 32(31), 1907180
- "Lamellar Bilayer to Fibril Structure Transformation of Tough Photonic Hydrogel under Elongation" M. A. Haque, K. Cui, M. Ilyas, T. Kurokawa, A. Marcellan, A. Brulet, R. Takahashi, T. Nakajima and J. P. Gong Macromolecules, 2020, 53, 4711-4721.
- "Hydrogels Toughened by Biominerals as Energy-Dissipative Sacrificial Bonds" K. Fukao, K. Tanaka, R. Kiyama, T. Nonoyama and J. P. Gong, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2020, 8, 5184-5188.DOI: 10.1039/D0TB00833H
- "Fabrication of Bioinspired Hydrogels: Challenges and Opportunities" H. Fan and J. P. Gong, Macromolecules, 2020, 53(8), 2769-2782.
- "Non-Linear Rheological Study of Hydrogel Sliding Friction in Water and Concentrated Hyaluronan Solution" S. Hirayama, T. Kurokawa and J. P. Gong, Tribology International, 2020, 147, 106270.
- "Instant Thermal Switching from Soft Hydrogel to Rigid Plastics Inspired by Thermophile Proteins" T. Nonoyama, Y. W. Lee, K. Ota, K. Fujioka, W. Hong and J. P. Gong, Advanced Materials, 2020, 32(4), 1905878.
- "Internal Damage Evolution in Double-Network Hydrogels Studied by Microelectrode Technique" H. Guo, W. Hong, T. Kurokawa, T. Matsuda, Z. L. Wu, T. Nakajima, M. Takahata, T. Sun, P. Rao and J. P. Gong, Macromolecules, 2019, 52, 18, 7114-7122.
- "Polyelectrolyte Complexation via Viscoelastic Phase Separation Results in Tough and Self-Recovering Porous Hydrogel" K. Murakawa, D. R. King, T. L. Sun, H. Guo, T. Kurokawa and J. P. Gong, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2019, 7(35), 5296-5305.DOI: 10.1039/C9TB01376H
- "Facile Synthesis of Novel Elastomers with Tunable Dynamics for Toughness, Self-healing and Adhesion" L. Chen, T. L. Sun, K. Cui, D. R. King, T. Kurokawa, Y. Saruwatari and J. P. Gong, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2019, 7(29),17334-17344.DOI: 10.1039/C9TA04840E
- "Hydrophobic Hydrogels with Fruit-like Structure and Functions" H. Guo, T. Nakajima, D. Hourdet, A. Marcellan, C. Creton, W. Hong, T. Kurokawa and J. P. Gong, Advanced Materials, 2019, 31(25), 1900702.
- "Superior Fracture Resistance of Fiber Reinforced Polyampholyte Hydrogels Achieved by Extraordinarily Large Energy-dissipative Process Zones" Y. Huang, D. R. King, W. Cui, T. L. Sun, H. Guo, T. Kurokawa, H. R. Brown, C.-Y. Hui and J. P. Gong, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2019, 7, 13431-13440.DOI: 10.1039/C9TA02326G
- "Designing Responsive Photonic Crystal Patterns by Using Laser Engraving" Y. Yue, T. Kurokawa, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2019, 11(11), 10841-10847.
- "Shearing-induced contact pattern formation in hydrogels sliding in polymer solution" S. Yashma, S. Hirayama, T. Kurokawa, T. Salez, H. Takefuji, W. Hong, J. P. Gong, Soft Matter, 2019, 9, 1953-1959.DOI: 10.1039/C8SM02428F
- "Water-Triggered Ductile−Brittle Transition of Anisotropic Lamellar Hydrogels and Effect of Confinement on Polymer Dynamics" M. Ilyas, M. Haque, Y. Yue, T. Kurokawa, T. Nakajima, T. Nonoyama, J. Gong, Macromolecules, 2017, 50 (20), 8169−8177.
- "Tough and Variable-Band-Gap Photonic Hydrogel Displaying Programmable Angle-Dependent Colors" M. Haque, K. Mito, T. Kurokawa, T. Nakajima, T. Nonoyama, M. Ilyas, J. Gong, ACS Omega, 2018, 3 (1), 55−62.
Attend international conferences and overseas dispatch
- "Hydrogels with Multi-Cylindrical Lamellar Bilayers: Swelling-Induced Contraction and Anisotropic Molecular Diffusion" T. Nakajima, K. Mito, A. M. Haque, T. Kurokawa, J. P. Gong, The 2nd International Symposium for Advanced Gel Materials & Soft Matters (ISAGMSM) (Guiyang, China, Aug. 20-22, 2017)