Control of Stimulus-response and Functionalization of Luminescent Smart Soft Crystals
Co-Investigator: Toshiki Mutai (Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, Assistant professor)
Co-Researcher: Atsushi Kobayashi (Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, Associate Professor)
Co-Researcher: Masaki Yoshida (Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, Assistant Professor)
Co-Researcher: Sun Yu (Institute for the Advancement of Higher Education, Hokkaido University, Associate Professor)
Research Collaborator: W. M. C. Sameera (Institute of Low Temperature Science, Hokkaido University, Assistant Professor)
This project aims the development of luminescent soft crystals which respond to environmental stimuli such as vapor, light, heat, and mechanical force sensitively and/or specifically. For this purpose, chromic metal complexes, organic p-systems, and supramolecular materials will be further explored and their properties will be investigated in details to elucidate the principals of these phenomena. The collaboration with researchers of various fields as one project team would not only promote the development of new systems of metal complexes, organic molecules, and supermolecules effectively, but also produce new concepts and the breakthrough by the synergetic effects. In addition, such sophisticated stimulus-responsive materials will be applied to fabricate novel devices in collaboration with other teams in this research area. Through the research, this team leads the establishment of science and functionalization of softcrystals.
- Methanol-triggered Vapochromism Coupled with Solid-state Spin Switching in a Ni(II)-quinonoid Complex, P. Kar, M. Yoshida, Y. Shigeta, A. Usui, A. Kobayashi, T. Minamidate, N. Matsunaga and M. Kato, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56, 2345–2349. (Back Cover Picture)
- Effect of Water Coordination on Luminescent Properties of Pyrazine-Bridged Dinuclear Cu(I) Complexes, A. Kobayashi, R. Arata, T. Ogawa, M. Yoshida and M. Kato, Inorg. Chem., 2017, 56, 4280–4288. DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.6b02578. (Cover Art)
- Shape-memory Platinum(II) Complexes: Intelligent Vapor-History Sensor with ON-OFF Switching Function, Y. Shigeta, A. Kobayashi, T. Ohba, M. Yoshida, T. Matsumoto, H.-C. Chang and M. Kato, Chem., Eur. J. 2016, 22, 2682–2690. (Cover picture)
- Synthesis of Metal-Hydrazone Complexes and Vapochromic Behavior of Their Hydrogen-Bonded Proton-Transfer Assemblies, A. Kobayashi, M. Dosen, M. Chang, K. Nakajima, S. Noro, and M. Kato, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 15286−15298.
- Vapor-Induced Luminescence Switching in Crystals of the Syn Isomer of a Dinuclear (Bipyridine)platinum(II) Complex Bridged with Pyridine-2-Thiolate Ions, M. Kato, A. Omura, A. Toshikawa, S. Kishi and Y. Sugimoto, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 2002, 41, 3183−3185.
- "Liquid-liquid interface-promoted formation of a porous molecular crystal based on a luminescent platinum(II) complex" Kimura, M. Yoshida, S. Fujii, A. Miura, K. Ueno, Y. Shigeta, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, Chemical Communications, 2020, 56, 12989-12992.DOI: 10.1039/D0CC04164E
- "Intense Red‐Blue Luminescence Based on Superfine Control of Metal‐Metal Interactions for Self‐Assembled Platinum(II) Complexes" D. Saito, T. Ogawa, M. Yoshida, J. Takayama, S. Hiura, A. Murayama, A. Kobayashi, and M. Kato, Angewandte Chemie, International Edition, 2020, Early View
- "A superelastochromic crystal" T. Mutai, T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, I. Yoshikawa, H. Houjou and S. Takamizawa, Nature Communications, 2020, 11, 1824.
- "Fast and Stable Vapochromic Response Induced Through Nanocrystal Formation of a Luminescent Platinum(II) Complex on Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica" H. Matsukawa, M. Yoshida, T. Tsunenari, S. Nozawa, A. Sato-Tomita, Y. Maegawa, S. Inagaki, A. Kobayashi and M. Kato, Scientific Report, 2019, 9, 15151.
- "Surfactant-assisted Synthesis of Large Cu-BTC MOFs Single Crystals and the Potential Utilization as Photodetectors" Y. Sun, M. Amsler, S. Goedecker, A. Caravella, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, CrystEngComm, 2019, 21, 3948-3953.DOI: 10.1039/C9CE00440H
- "Stability tuning of vapor-adsorbed state of vapochromic Pt(II) complex by introduction of chiral moiety", Y. Shigeta, A. Kobayashi, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Inorg. Chem., 2019, 58, 7385-7392.
- "Excited-State Intramolecular Proton-Transfer Process of Crystalline 6-Cyano-2-(2’-hydroxyphenyl)imidazo[1,2a]pyridine, as Revealed by Femtosecond Pump–Probe Microspectroscopy" Y. Ishibashi, M. Murakami, K. Araki, T. Mutai, T. Asahi, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2019, 123, 11224-11232.
- "Halogen-substituent effect on the spectroscopic properties of 2-phenyl-6-dimethylaminobenzothiazoles" R. Misawa, C. Matsuhashi, M. Yamaji, T. Mutai, I. Yoshikawa, H. Houjou, K. Noguchi, S. Maki, T. Hirano, Tetrahedron Lett., 2019, 60, 1702-1705.
- "Soft Crystals‐Flexible Response Systems with High Structural Order" M. Kato, H. Ito, M. Hasegawa, K. Ishii, Chemistry – A European Journal, 2019, 25, 5105-5112.
- "Phosphorescence Properties of Discrete Platinum(II) Complex Anions Bearing N-heterocyclic Carbenes in the Solid State" T. Ogawa, W. M. C. Sameera, D. Saito, M. Yoshida, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, Inorg. Chem., 2018, 57, 14086-14096.
- "Crystal Engineering of Vapochromic Porous Crystals Composed of Pt(II)-diimine Luminophores for Vapor History Sensors" Y. Shigeta, A. Kobayashi, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Cryst. Growth Des., 2018, 18, 3419-3427.
- "Robust Triplatinum Redox-chromophore for a Post-synthetic Color-tunable Electrochromic System", M. Yoshida, H. Shitama, W. M. C. Sameera, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, Chem. Eur. J., in press.
- "Quantitative Solvent-Free Thermal Synthesis of Luminescent Cu(I) Coordination Polymers" A. Kobayashi, M. Fujii, Y. Shigeta, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Inorg. Chem., 2019, 58, 4456-4464.
- "Two-step Vapochromic Luminescence of Proton-conductive Coordination Polymers Composed of Ru(II)-metalloligands and Lanthanide Cations" A. Kobayashi, K. Shimizu, A. Watanabe, Y. Nagao, N. Yoshimura, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Inorg. Chem., 2019, 58, 2413-2421.
- "Effect of the Chirality of Counter Anions on the Vapochromic Behavior of Luminescent Pt(II) Complexes" Y. Shigeta, A. Kobayashi, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2019, 1011-1017.
- "The Effect of Pyridyl Anchoring Groups at the Surfaces of Ru(II)-dye-sensitized TiO2 Nanoparticles on Photocatalytic Oxygen Evolution" H. Otsuka, A. Kobayashi, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chem., 2019, 369, 189-194.
- "Development of Imidazo[1,2- a]pyridine Derivatives with an Intramolecular Hydrogen-Bonded Seven-Membered Ring Exhibiting Bright ESIPT Luminescence in the Solid State", T. Mutai, T. Muramatsu, I. Yoshikawa, H. Houjou, M. Ogura, Org. Lett., 2019, 21, 2143-2146.
- "Photoluminescence of platinum(II) diethynylphenanthroline organometallic complexes with bis-arylethynyl derivatives in solution and solid state" M. Shiotsuka, R. Ono, Y. Kurono, T. Asano, Y. Sakae, J. Organomet. Chem., 2019, 880, 116-123.
- "Re-evaluation of tert-butyl method in crystal engineering of salicylideneanilines by simultaneous observation of photochromism and thermochromism in single crystals" H. Houjou, T. Kato, H. Huang, Y. Suzuki, I. Yoshikawa, T. Mutai, Cryst. Growth Des., 2019, 19, 1384-1390.
- "Photocatalytic Hydrogen Evolution Driven by Platinated CdS Nanorods with a Hexacyanidoruthenate Redox Mediator" H. Kitano, A. Kobayashi, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Sustain. Energy Fuels, 2018, 2, 2609-2615.DOI: 10.1039/C8SE00201K
- "Mechanochromic Switching between Delayed Fluorescence and Phosphorescence of Luminescent Coordination Polymers Composed of Dinuclear Copper(I) Iodide Rhombic Cores" A. Kobayashi, Y. Yoshida, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Chem. Eur. J., 2018, 24, 14750-14759.
- "Importance of the Molecular Orientation of an Ir(III)-heteroleptic Photosensitizer Immobilized on TiO2 Nanoparticles" A. Kobayashi, S. Watanabe, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, ACS Appl. Energy Mater., 2018, 1, 2882-2890.
- "Solvent-free Thermal Synthesis of Luminescent Dinuclear Cu(I) Complexes with Triarylphosphines" P. Liang, A. Kobayashi, W. M. C. Sameera, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Inorg. Chem., 2018, 57, 5929-5938.
- "Alternative preparation and characterization of platinum(II) organometallic dinuclear complexes and oligomers with 3,8 diethynylphenanthroline derivatives" M. Shiotsuka, T. Hashimoto, K. Matsubara, K. Sako, Trans. Met. Chem., 2018, 43, 693-703.
- "Dioxacyclophanes as a Scaffold for Silicon-based Circularly Polarized Luminescent Materials" Y. Yamanoi, T. Usuki, K. Omoto, M. Shimada, H. Koike, M. Iwamura, K. Nozaki, D. Saito, M. Kato, H. Nishihara, Tetrahedron Lett., 2019, 60, 1108–1112.
- "Spectroscopic properties of push-pull 2-(4-carboxyphenyl)-6-dimethylaminobenzothiazole derivatives in solution and the solid state" Y. Takahashi, T. Uehara, C. Matsuhashi, M. Yamaji, T. Mutai, I. Yoshikawa, H. Houjou, K. Kitagawa, T. Suenobu, S. A. Maki, T. Hirano, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A., 2019, 376, 324-332.
- "Two-way Vapochromism of a Luminescent Platinum(II) Complex with Phosphonic-acid-functionalized Bipyridine Ligand" A. Kobayashi, N. Yamamoto, Y. Shigeta, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Dalton Trans., 2018, 47, 1548–1566.DOI: 10.1039/C7DT04324D
- "Immobilization of Luminescent Platinum(II) Complexes on Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica and their Water Reduction Photocatalysis" M. Yoshida, K. Saito, H. Matsukawa, S. Yanagida, M. Ebina, Y. Maegawa, S. Inagaki, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chem., 2018, in press.
- "Thermal and Mechanochemical Syntheses of Luminescent Mononuclear Copper(I) Complexes" P. Liang, A. Kobayashi, T. Hasegawa, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2017, 44, 5134–5142.
- "Impact of Photosensitizing Multi-layered Structure on Ruthenium(II)-dye-sensitized TiO2- nanoparticle Photocatalysts" S. Furugori, A. Kobayashi, A. Watanabe, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, ACS Omega, 2017, 2 (7), 3902–3912.
- "Effects of Phosphonate Ester Groups Attached on a Heteroleptic Ir(III) Photosensitizer" A. Kobayashi, S. Watanabe, M. Ebina, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chem., 2017, 347, 9–16.
- "Luminescent Ionic Liquids Based on Cyclometalated Platinum(II) Complexes Exhibiting" T. Ogawa, W. M. C. Sameera, M. Yoshida, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, Dalton Trans., 2018, 47, 5589-5594.DOI: 10.1039/C8DT00651B
- "Regulation of metal–metal interactions and chromic phenomena of multi-decker platinum complexes having π-systems" M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Coord. Chem. Rev., 2018, 355, 101-115.
Review article, commentary, criticism etc.
- "Regulation of Metal–Metal Interactions and Chromic Phenomena of Multi-Decker Platinum Complexes Having π-Systems" M. Yoshida, M. Kato, Coord. Chem. Rev., 2018, 355, 101-115.
Attend international conferences and overseas dispatch
- "Self-organization and reactivity of photoactive platinum(II) supramolecular complexes" R. Kawabe, Y. Iti, T. Toda, K. Sako, M. Shiotsuka, 2nd FRIMS International Symposium on Frontier Materials (Naogoya, Japan, Feb. 1-2, 2018)
- "Surface enhanced raman scattering study of phenanthroline derivatives and their ruthenium complexes attached on gold or silver nanoparticles" R. Hibako, S. Imaoka, Y. Matsuoka, K. Sako, M. Shiotsuka, 3rd FRIMS International Symposium on Frontier Materials (Naogoya, Japan, Feb. 1-2, 2018)
- "Organic supramolecules showing stimuli-responsive luminescence" T. Mutai (Invited), Feringa Academic Alumni Symposium, Chemistry for the Future (Groningen, Netherlands, Sep. 14-15, 2017)
- "Multicolored electrochromism and luminescence of a redox-active double-decker platinum complex" M. Yoshida, N. Yashiro, H. Shitama, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, The 13th Nanjing University-Hokkaido University-NIMS-Jiaxing University Joint Symposium (jiaxing, China, Oct.24-28, 2017)
- "Solvent-free thermal synthesis of luminescent mononuclear Cu(I) complexes with isoquinoline derivatives" P. Liang, M. Yoshida, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, The 13th Nanjing University-Hokkaido University-NIMS-Jiaxing University Joint Symposium (jiaxing, China, Oct.24-28, 2017)
- "Methanol-triggered vapochromism coupled with spin switching in a Ni(II)-quinonoid complex" M. Kato (Invited), 6th Asian Conference on Coordination Chemistry (Melbourne, Australia, Jul. 23-28, 2017)
- "Color-tunable Electrochromism and Mixed-valency of a Triple-decker Platinum Complex" M. Yoshida, H. Shitama, W.M.C. Sameera, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, 6th Asian Conference on Coordination Chemistry (Melbourne, Australia, Jul. 23-28, 2017)
- "Platinum complexes exhibiting intense luminescence and chromic phenomena" M. Kato (Invited), 28th International Conference on Photochemistry (Strasbourg, France, Jul. 16-21, 2017)
- "Multi-layered Ru(II)-dye-sensitized Nanoparticle-Photocatalyst for Water Splitting Reaction" A. Kobayashi, S. Furugori, M. Yoshida, M. Kato, 22nd International Symposium on the Photophysics and Photochemistry of Coordination Compounds (Oxford, UK, Jul. 9-14, 2017)
- "Solvent-free Synthesis and Luminescent Properties of Mononuclear Cu(I) Complexes" P. Liang, T. Hasegawa, M. Yoshida, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato, 22nd International Symposium on the Photophysics and Photochemistry of Coordination Compounds (Oxford, UK, Jul. 9-14, 2017)
- "Control of Luminescence Properties in Cu(I) Complexes" M. Kato (Invited), Applications of Photoactive Coordination Compounds conference (Scotland, UK, Jul. 5-7, 2017)
- "Methanol-Triggered Vapochromism Coupled with Spin Switching in a Ni(II)-quinonoid Complex" M. Kato (Invited), 11th Japan-China Joint Symposium on Metal Cluster Compounds (Naogoya, Japan, Oct.7-10, 2017)
- "Methanol-Triggered Vapochromism Coupled with Spin Switching in a Ni(II)-quinonoid Complex" M. Kato (Invited), The 4th Japan-Canada Joint Symposium on Coordination Chemistry (Fukuoka, Japan, Nov. 27-30, 2017)
- "Vapor-Responsive Metal Complexes Exhibiting Chromic Phenomena" M. Kato (Invited), The 4th Japan-Taiwan-Singapore-Hong Kong Quadrilateral Symposium on Coordination Chemistry (Hong Kong, China, Dec. 10-12, 2017)
- "Stimulus-responsive Metal Complexes Exhibiting Strong Luminescence and Chromic Phenomena" M. Kato (Invited), Department Seminar (Hsinchu, Taiwan, Dec. 15-15, 2017)