Control of Stimulus-response and Functionalization of Luminescent Smart Soft Crystals
Co-Investigator: Toshiki Mutai (Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, Assistant professor)
Co-Researcher: Atsushi Kobayashi (Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, Associate Professor)
Co-Researcher: Masaki Yoshida (Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, Assistant Professor)
Co-Researcher: Sun Yu (Institute for the Advancement of Higher Education, Hokkaido University, Associate Professor)
Research Collaborator: W. M. C. Sameera (Institute of Low Temperature Science, Hokkaido University, Assistant Professor)
This project aims the development of luminescent soft crystals which respond to environmental stimuli such as vapor, light, heat, and mechanical force sensitively and/or specifically. For this purpose, chromic metal complexes, organic p-systems, and supramolecular materials will be further explored and their properties will be investigated in details to elucidate the principals of these phenomena. The collaboration with researchers of various fields as one project team would not only promote the development of new systems of metal complexes, organic molecules, and supermolecules effectively, but also produce new concepts and the breakthrough by the synergetic effects. In addition, such sophisticated stimulus-responsive materials will be applied to fabricate novel devices in collaboration with other teams in this research area. Through the research, this team leads the establishment of science and functionalization of softcrystals.
- Methanol-triggered Vapochromism Coupled with Solid-state Spin Switching in a Ni(II)-quinonoid Complex, P. Kar, M. Yoshida, Y. Shigeta, A. Usui, A. Kobayashi, T. Minamidate, N. Matsunaga and M. Kato, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56, 2345–2349. (Back Cover Picture)
- Effect of Water Coordination on Luminescent Properties of Pyrazine-Bridged Dinuclear Cu(I) Complexes, A. Kobayashi, R. Arata, T. Ogawa, M. Yoshida and M. Kato, Inorg. Chem., 2017, 56, 4280–4288. DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.6b02578. (Cover Art)
- Shape-memory Platinum(II) Complexes: Intelligent Vapor-History Sensor with ON-OFF Switching Function, Y. Shigeta, A. Kobayashi, T. Ohba, M. Yoshida, T. Matsumoto, H.-C. Chang and M. Kato, Chem., Eur. J. 2016, 22, 2682–2690. (Cover picture)
- Synthesis of Metal-Hydrazone Complexes and Vapochromic Behavior of Their Hydrogen-Bonded Proton-Transfer Assemblies, A. Kobayashi, M. Dosen, M. Chang, K. Nakajima, S. Noro, and M. Kato, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 15286−15298.
- Vapor-Induced Luminescence Switching in Crystals of the Syn Isomer of a Dinuclear (Bipyridine)platinum(II) Complex Bridged with Pyridine-2-Thiolate Ions, M. Kato, A. Omura, A. Toshikawa, S. Kishi and Y. Sugimoto, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 2002, 41, 3183−3185.