Developments of Thermomechanical Properties of Soft Crystals
Co-Researcher: Toshiyuki Sasaki (Graduate School of Nanobioscience Department of Materials System Science, Yokohama City University, Assistant Professor)
We develop the control methods for solid morphologies and physical properties of Soft Crystals based on superelasticity exhibited by organic solids (“organosuperelasticity”). A research of superelasticity has been limitedly developed so far as a unique physical property of special alloys known as shape-memory alloys (or superelastic alloys). Organosuperelasticity is a new solid property that appeared in chemistry, and it has reached at a new stage where a research of superelasticity can be developed by chemical techniques. In this research, we aim at (1) developing synthetic and formation methods of superelastic organic crystals, (2) deepening and expanding evaluation methods of the physical properties, and (3) developing modulatable optical properties coupled with superelasticity.
- Shape-Memory Effect in an Organosuperelastic Crystal
Takamizawa, S.; Takasaki, Y. Chem. Sci. 2016, 7, 1527–1534.
- Dynamic Gas-Inclusion in a Single Crystal
Takamizawa, S. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 7033–7036.
- Superelastic Organic Crystals
Takamizawa, S.; Miyamoto, Y. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 6970–6973.
- "A superelastochromic crystal" T. Mutai, T. Sasaki, S. Sakamoto, I. Yoshikawa, H. Houjou and S. Takamizawa, Nature Communications, 2020, 11, 1824.
- "Superplasticity in an organic crystal" S. Takamizawa, Y. Takasaki, T. Sasaki, N. Ozaki, Nature Commun., 2018, 9, 3984.
- "Versatile ferroelastic deformability in an organic single crystal by twinning about a molecular zone axis" E. R. Engel, S. Takamizawa, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2018, 57, 11888-11892.
- "Controllability of coercive stress in organoferroelasticity by the incorporation of a bulky flipping moiety in molecular crystals" S. H. Mir, Y. Takasaki, E. R. Engel, S. Takamizawa, CrystEngComm, 2018, 20, 3807-3811.DOI: 10.1039/C8CE00295A
- "Enhancement of dissipated energy by large bending of an organic single crystal undergoing twinning deformation" S. H. Mir, Y. Takasaki, E. R. Engel, S. Takamizawa, RSC Advances, 2018, 8, 21933-21936.DOI: 10.1039/C8RA02499E
- "Versatile Shape Recoverability of Odd-Numbered Saturated Long-Chain Fatty Acid Crystals" S. Takamizawa, Y. Takasaki, Cryst. Growth Des., 2019, 19, 1912-1920.
- "Ferroelasticity in an organic crystal: a macroscopic and molecular level study" H. S. Mir, Y. Takasaki, R. E. Engel, S. Takamizawa, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56 (50), 15882–15885.
- "An organoferroelasticity driven by molecular conformational change" H. S. Mir, Y. Takasaki, S. Takamizawa, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2018, 20, 4631–4635.DOI: 10.1039/c7cp07206f
- "Twinning ferroelasticity facilitated by the partial flipping of phenyl rings in single crystals of 4,4-dicarboxydiphenyl ether" R. E. Engel, Y. Takasaki, H. S. Mir, S. Takamizawa, R. Soc. Open Sci., 2018, 5, 171146.DOI: 10.1098/rsos.171146
Attend international conferences and overseas dispatch
- "Discovery of Superelasticity and Shape-memory Effect in Organic Crystals" S. Takamizawa (Invited), International Conference On Martensitic Transformations (ICOMAT 2017) (Chicago, USA, Jul. 9-14, 2017)
- "Organosuperelasticity: New Physical Element in Chemistry" S. Takamizawa (Invited), The 23rd International Conference on the Chemistry of the Organic Solid State (ICCOSS XXII) (Stellenbosch, Republic of South Africa, Apr. 2-7, 2017)